Amanda-Users

Re: HP Colorado, ide-scsi

2002-09-08 18:40:31
Subject: Re: HP Colorado, ide-scsi
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Brian Jonnes <brian AT init.co DOT za>, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 18:24:42 -0400
On Sunday 08 September 2002 15:23, Brian Jonnes wrote:
>On Sun 08 Sep 02 15:34, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Then, if you are sure the kernels ide-scsi support is working,
>> I'm of the opinion that this drive should be taken to a winderz
>> box, and the software on the cd that came with it be used to
>> verify that it is indeed working.  I've had quite a bit of
>> trouble with a
>
>Will do that.
>
>> Things like where does it keep its configs, what are its
>> owner:group settings, and anything else that I set in a script I
>> use to do the configuration:
>
>Yeah got all that. Almost there. Just gotta add a few patches
> (Debian stores dumpdates in /var/lib and amandates in
> /var/lib/amanda). The configure scripts were screwing me around;
> autoconf was getting re-called (because a Makefile.am file had
> been patched), and it was dumping bogus Makefiles in the source
> tree. Got around that by making sure the date of Makefile.am
> didn't get changed....
>
>> Remember, amanda is configured and built as the user amanda, but
>> must be installed by root.
>
>This is where debian is a little different. Build it as whoever.
> Package it with "fakeroot", install it as root.

Humm, "fakeroot"? Odd indeed.  Not saying its wrong, but...  Whats
this fakeroot do?

For *most* systems, amanda should be built by the user thats going
to run it from that users crontab.  But amanda does its own su-
when the time comes, and in order for all the perms to be set
right, root must install, same as your's.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M