Amanda-Users

Re: HP Colorado, ide-scsi

2002-09-08 10:03:07
Subject: Re: HP Colorado, ide-scsi
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Brian Jonnes <brian AT init.co DOT za>, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 09:34:24 -0400
On Sunday 08 September 2002 05:53, Brian Jonnes wrote:
>On Fri 06 Sep 02 16:59, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>> level 0 and degraded mode?  Aren't these non-sequitors?  I
>> thought degraded mode meant falling back to incrementals because
>> there was no place to put the level 0's.  I.e. the tape was not
>> working and the holding disk did not have enough unreserved
>> space to hold the level 0's.  So where would you like amanda to
>> put your huge level 0's if it can't put it to tape or to disk?
>
>Sorry, I think what I should be doing is splitting the amdump and
> amflush. In other words, all dumps go to disk, and then I can
> manually flush ('cause I'm having this intermittence).
>
>But the report does say
>  driver: going into degraded mode because of tape error.

Then, if you are sure the kernels ide-scsi support is working, I'm
of the opinion that this drive should be taken to a winderz box,
and the software on the cd that came with it be used to verify that
it is indeed working.  I've had quite a bit of trouble with a
couple of now elderly Colorado TR4 drives in the scsi interface
category, and they often start tossing out weird errors about a
month before they start ripping 20 dollar tapes in two.  Or some
such equally expensive silliness.

>Even though I do have plenty holding disk (Remember -- 4GB tapes):
>   Holding disk /export/backupstore: 26773908 KB disk space
> available, that's plenty
>
>Although before I complain about _this_ problem, I should probably
> upgrade. Like I mentioned to someone else -- I'm being a distro
> weenie. I _like_ everything Debianized -- will see if the debian
> package scripts drop in over the new version.
>
>By the way, the latest beta is considered stable?

It ran just fine here last night.  But again, I have a consistent
install proceedure that simply overwrites the existing install.
Not being privy to how debian does it, you need to collect some
data before configureing the new one to also do that painlessly.

Things like where does it keep its configs, what are its owner:group
settings, and anything else that I set in a script I use to do the
configuration:
-------
#!/bin/sh
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 \
        --with-changer-device=/dev/sg1 \
        --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=192.168.1.3 \
        --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda
-------
each of the above settings will need to be made equal to whats in
place now.

Or one can use the debian packages uninstaller and start from
scratch.

Remember, amanda is configured and built as the user amanda, but
must be installed by root.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M