Amanda-Users

Re: HP Colorado, ide-scsi

2002-09-07 05:42:07
Subject: Re: HP Colorado, ide-scsi
From: Brian Jonnes <brian AT init.co DOT za>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 10:46:30 +0200
On Fri 06 Sep 02 16:59, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 11:01:45AM +0200, Brian Jonnes wrote:
> > Pulled the tape out, plugged it back in, and now its dumping fine. Can
> > anyone make sense of this?
>
> I don't use your systems but ISTR people mentioning using mt to set the
> block size to 32K.

Tried that just now; failed.

Now the strange thing is that I'm getting _partial_ success now. The "taper"
line in NOTES gives me (as an example):

  taper: tape DAILY_02 kb 467776 fm 48 writing filemark: Input/output error

Where previously it was giving me kb 0 (with ide-tape). Again I stress, some
of the dumps finish fine. I got just under 2GB written on Thursday morning,
but Friday and Saturday have now failed (Friday's got 64kb written; tried an
amflush and it got 35MB written).

I'm now guessing that ide-tape was merely _reporting_ that 0k was written;
ide-scsi is now being more accurate with regards to how much data is written
before failure.

I think I'm gonna throw this drive against the wall! As I've mentioned, I
already had the unit swapped out. Right now I can't imagine it being anything
else, 'cause the errors are distributed throughout the tape cycle.

..Brian

--
Init Systems  -  Linux consulting
031 767-0139    082 769-2320    brian AT init.co DOT za