Amanda-Users

Re: DLT8000s in a TL891 on Compaq kit running RedHat 7.3 Input/output error

2002-08-15 23:06:30
Subject: Re: DLT8000s in a TL891 on Compaq kit running RedHat 7.3 Input/output error
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>, Owen Williams <williams AT dmu.ac DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 22:48:05 -0400
On Thursday 15 August 2002 14:22, Jay Lessert wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 06:15:05PM +0100, Owen Williams wrote:
>> # mtx status
>>   Storage Changer /dev/changer:2 Drives, 10 Slots ( 0
>> Import/Export ) Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
>> Data Transfer Element 1:Empty
>>       Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=A00000
>>       Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=A00001
>>       Storage Element 3:Full :VolumeTag=A00002
>>       Storage Element 4:Full :VolumeTag=A00003
>>       Storage Element 5:Full :VolumeTag=A00004
>>       Storage Element 6:Full :VolumeTag=A00005
>>       Storage Element 7:Full :VolumeTag=A00006
>>       Storage Element 8:Full :VolumeTag=A00007
>>       Storage Element 9:Full :VolumeTag=A00008
>>       Storage Element 10:Full :VolumeTag=C00000
>
>[clip]
>
>> runtapes 1           # number of tapes to be used in a single run of
>> amdump tpchanger "chg-scsi"  # the tape-changer glue script
>
>OK, I *think* you're off-by-one.
>
>> tapedev "0"  # the no-rewind tape device to be used
>> #changerdev "/dev/sg0"
>
>[clip]
>
>> config               0
>> drivenum     0
>> startuse     0       # The slots associated with the drive 0
>> enduse               9       #
>> cleancart    9       # the slot where the cleaningcartridge for drive 0
>> is located
>
>So the changer thinks first slot is "1", but you've said 'startuse
> 0'. when you go 'amtape DailySet1 slot first' and 'slot last',
> and you go physically watch the robot, which tapes move?

FYI, it appears that the chg-scsi utility runs in a base 0 numbering
mode.  Here as I just tested it using amtape /config/ scan, setting
the startuse to 1 (which matches the displayed on the front of the
robot number for the first cart in the magazine) resulted in its
not even looking at what chg-scsi calls Slot 0 which was already
loaded, but it advanced the mechanism and loaded the second tape,
then proceeded to report it as "tape so-and-so in Slot 0".

>Besides which, if you *are* going to use cleancart (and I'm not
> sure it really works in Amanda at all), I'm pretty sure enduse ==
> cleancart is not right.

No, enduse must be one less than cleancart, so his last valid tape
is in slot 8 in a 0-9 numbered string of 10 slots.

Autoclean ATM it is not working automaticly, it seems that every
drive vendor has their own idea of howto define and report the sort
of error rates that would be used to indicate a need for cleaning,
hence no quick and dirty read of the drives main status page seems
to be possible.  mt for instance see's no reportable difference in
my drives status before, or after I've extinguished the blinking
led on the face of the drawer with a cleaning cycle.  There are
sub-pages I'm told, but it appears there is no standard way of
formatting the reported data.

I was hoping that Thomas Hepper might find time to do something with
that as I'd sent him the full doc package on my Seagate CTL-96 some
time back, but then his job got to be about 7/12's or worse and he
really hasn't had the time to address it.  But be aware that there
seem to be wide vendor diffs about this items reporting, and even
if it can be made to work with my drive, it will probably fall on
its collective face when querying a DLT or whathaveyou drive.

In the meantime, having a cleaning tape in the last slot is handy,
but its still a manual operation to use it.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M