Amanda-Users

Re: DLT8000s in a TL891 on Compaq kit running RedHat 7.3 Input/output error

2002-08-15 13:25:46
Subject: Re: DLT8000s in a TL891 on Compaq kit running RedHat 7.3 Input/output error
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: Owen Williams <williams AT dmu.ac DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:08:02 -0700
On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 05:30:14PM +0100, Owen Williams wrote:
> The second is that I get problems using tapes from 'slot 9' of my
> 10 slot library.  I have a cleaning tape in the tenth.  I have
> two tape drives.  I get:
>
> amcheck-server: slot 9: rewinding tape: Input/output error

Hmmmm, some changer/changer_script combos like to start at slot "0" and
some like to start at slot "1".  Are you sure you're not just
off-by-one and you're trying to amcheck the cleaning tape?

You could tell us your changer setup (both the changer.conf and the
relevant bits of amanda.conf), and show us 'amtape config show'.
And 'mtx status', if you're using mtx.

Personally, I do *not* leave a cleaner in the library, and clean
the tape drives once a year whether they need it or not.  :-)

Cleaning was essential and frequent in the old Exabyte 8x00 days (may
they rot in hell forever), but I've literally never had a
cleaning-related failure in DLT or LTO drives.  (I've had bad
*tapes*, though.)

> I got this first with amlabel.  I configured amanda to use the
> other drive.  I cleaned both drives and tried a new tape in 'slot
> 9' but I still get the 'rewinding input/output' error.
>
> I'm loathed to start backing things up while it still complains.

If you're not off-by-one, and there really is some sort of anomaly
where your changer script doesn't like slot 9, just tell it not
to use slot 9 for now, and start doing backups.  You can always
update changer.conf later when you sort it out.

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461