Amanda-Users

Re: Holding Disk Question

2002-08-15 23:06:31
Subject: Re: Holding Disk Question
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: John Koenig <jfkoenig AT vipb DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 22:53:42 -0400
On Thursday 15 August 2002 14:49, John Koenig wrote:
>>My motto:  Disk is cheap, don't skimp on holding disk.
>
>Yup... after I deployed a 181 GB drive for our holding disk, I saw
>somewhat different behavior in amstatus... though I would have
>expected the total time of the backups to drop (compared to a
>relatively small 25 GB holding space I used before) they did
> not... I conclude this was because the entire run is tape i/o
> bound... Holding disk usage on the runs with this disk were about
> 90% capacity... so the clients were not taking so long to
> complete their data transfers...
>
>This would seem to indicate I need to double this amount of space
> to hold 2 days of backups, currently... I'd like to have a week's
> worth, actually.... in case the tape goes South and replacement
> is not easy and quick.
>
>So does the chunksize parameter affect performance in any way?

Only in that it prevents troubles with a filesystem that can't
handle large files.  There was, at the time amanda was first
deployed, a 2gig limit to the filesize in many of its various
platforms filesystems.  Many of those limits are now historical,
but you'd hate to find it out by doing a recovery and having it
blow up because a tape of 20gigs was all one big file.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M