Amanda-Users

Re: failure & strange dump

2002-08-14 08:15:55
Subject: Re: failure & strange dump
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: jane AT s2o.co DOT uk, Chris Johnson <chris AT sebis DOT com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:53:14 -0400
On Wednesday 14 August 2002 04:14, janebackup wrote:
>Hi Chris,
>
>Thanks for your reply, I don't use the email facility but I run a
> amreport and I get the following:
>
>FAILURE & STRANGE DUMP
>
>dataserv / Results missing
>
>Amanda is running as root so I don't think its permissions.

amanda doesn't like running as root, usually totally refusing to,
but will get root perms when she needs to.  amanda should be run as
an unpriviledged user who is a member of group disk or maybe
backup, and will do an suid when required.

>I'm compiling from source.
>
>I would be grateful if somebody could help me!

The contents of this list usually get a recipe for building amanda
from me about weekly, so you might want to look at the last couple
of weeks worth to see one way of doing it that works here.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M