Amanda-Users

Re: failure & strange dump

2002-08-15 10:59:00
Subject: Re: failure & strange dump
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:47:55 -0400
On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 02:40:33PM +0100, janebackup wrote:
> Hi thanks for your email, I'm sorry to be a pain but could you tell me if I
> can just add
> the amanda user to my root group.  If not what permission does the new disk
> group need?

YMMV, this is my system.

$ ls -lL /dev/dsk
total 0
brw-r-----   1 root     sys       29,392 Jul 20  2001 c1t6d0s8
brw-r-----   1 root     sys       29,393 Jul 20  2001 c1t6d0s9
    ^                   ^^^
    group read          amanda must have this group permissions

Seldom (in my experience) is the disk group the root group.

Some systems allow only a single group membership at a time.
In that case amanda should login as part of the disk group (sys for me).

Other system allow multiple, simultaneous group membership.  On those,
amanda needs be listed as a member of the disk group (sys for me).

300 lines of email message for a 3 line question is overkill.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)