Amanda-Users

Re: xinetd problems

2002-08-05 17:15:35
Subject: Re: xinetd problems
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: "Paul G. Allen" <pgallen AT randomlogic DOT com>, amusers <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 16:02:25 -0500
--On Monday, August 05, 2002 16:38:37 -0400 Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc
DOT net> wrote:

On Monday 05 August 2002 11:57, Paul G. Allen wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 05 August 2002 06:29, Paul G. Allen wrote:
> "Paul G. Allen" wrote:
>> OK, Gene, I copied your example and re-compiled and
>> re-configured Amanda to use amanda:disk. The tape host now
>> seems to pass amcheck. Now I'll tackle the remote client.
>> Once I get that working, I think I'll be able to move on to
>> my other 3 machines.
>
> Well, I can't seem to get the remote machine to respond to the
> tape server. The logs don't give me any clue as to why.

The 'disklist' file needs FQDN names, and user amanda needs
rights on them. Also the client soft needs to be installed on
the remote machines.

It does, it does, and it is. In fact, I made sure user amanda has
the same UID/GID on both machines. The source code and
configuration was copied from the tape host to the client and
re-compiled (for client only). I never even see that the tape
host is connecting to the client - the system logs on both sides
show nothing (whereas the system log on the tape host shows it
connecting to itself through xinetd).

(Damn, forgot to send this. It's been sitting on my desktop for
over an hour! :)

Humm, memory, 2nd thing to go?  Nah, you're too young. :-)

Lets see, .amandahosts is used and configured?  Both machines host
files up to date, passwords synched, ah, mm, and I'm fresh out of
ideas. :-(

Somebody else jump in here before I drown...

Try running tcpdump/snoop/whatever on both client and server, watching
for traffic between the two.  Then you can see if the client is trying
to talk to the server, if the server sees the packets, if the server
is replying, and if the client sees the replies.   Any firewalls on
or between the client and server?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com