Amanda-Users

Re: xinetd problems

2002-08-05 10:41:23
Subject: Re: xinetd problems
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "Paul G. Allen" <pgallen AT randomlogic DOT com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:21:08 -0400
On Monday 05 August 2002 10:07, Paul G. Allen wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 05 August 2002 05:00, Paul G. Allen wrote:
>> >OK, Gene, I copied your example and re-compiled and
>> > re-configured Amanda to use amanda:disk. The tape host now
>> > seems to pass amcheck. Now I'll tackle the remote client. Once
>> > I get that working, I think I'll be able to move on to my
>> > other 3 machines.
>> >
>> >It'll be nice to use this tape changer again without having to
>> > pay through the nose for commercial software (Arkiea wanted
>> > $1500 just to license a module for driving this changer!)
>>
>> Yeah, tell me about it.  They wanted well over 2g for that and a
>> 5 machine license when we last asked.  I don't know what changer
>> you have, got a Seagate/Compaq egu to a CTL-96 here.  Works
>> great when I remember to change the tapes :-/
>
>It's an ADIC 1200 4mm changer. Holds 12 tapes and either a DDS-II
> or DDS-I drive (too bad I only have the smaller one). I picked it
> up a couple years ago from the company I was working at. They
> were going to throw it away, but it works fine.

>> >I'm at 99.525%, but then I have a dual Athlon 1400, a single
>> > Athlon 1400, a single Athlon 1200, and an Alpha 433 running
>> > 24/7.
>> >
>> > :)
>>
>> What you see in the sig is what I've got running now.  I did
>> have another 550 celery at work before I retired.
>
>I used to have a few others at work as well. Now I'm looking to
> become employed again (laid off Dec. 3 when the office here was
> closed, partially a result of 9/11). I picked up the Athlons
> about a month before they told us "the good news".

I'm retired mostly at almost 68.  I'm a tv engineer, and I still do
the transmitter once a week cause nobody else knows how that 45
year old box works but me.  Unforch, I put the last pair of
4-1000's in it Sat morning, which means that with suitable babying,
we have about 2-3 years to buy a new box.  That tube is no longer
being made by anyone who knows how to make it.

>In other news, I've messed with this all night and can not get the
> tape host to connect to the remote client. So that I can get
> important data backed up, I'm going to try to nNFS mount the
> remote machine's dirs. and use the tape server local client to
> back them up.

NFS mount has its own set of warts from reading this list.  Security
being one of them IIRC.

Humm, I guess I'm going to have to see if I can setup something
similar here.  What I've been doing here since I have beaucoup
drive is to 'rsync' those directories on the other machine that I
need, and then backup the local copy.  All done with cron scripts.
But I really do need to learn how to do it amanda's way if for no
other reason than to be able to offer "been there, done that" help
when I can.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M