ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Win2008 with UAC and backing up files that really didn't change... kind'a

2013-10-10 15:24:17
Subject: [ADSM-L] Win2008 with UAC and backing up files that really didn't change... kind'a
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT COX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 14:20:05 -0500
OK, so I have a file server with 6 volumes each of 2.5 TB's and each with
1-2.5M files on them.

Under Win2008 there is this ~funk~ called UAC such that an "administrative"
id has effective permissions to everything but not really any direct
permission.

That is, if I go into this server and under explorer I click on the top
directory on one of the volumes it says "you don't have rights to view this,
do you want to grant yourself rights?" and when I click "OK" windows goes
out and gives my userid direct permissions to all subfolders and files. BUT.
that is a change to the permissions of every directory and file and next
incr backup, TSM backs up everything. yes, sometimes 2.5M files at 2.5 TB's
just because some admin clicked "OK" on giving themselves permission to view
things at the top folder level.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Dwight