ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Win2008 with UAC and backing up files that really didn't change... kind'a

2013-10-11 09:33:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Win2008 with UAC and backing up files that really didn't change... kind'a
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 09:31:22 -0400
On 10/11/2013 02:58 AM, Richard van Denzel wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am seeing the same kind of behaviour on a Windows 2012 cluster, which
> from time to time backs-up the entire volume, without anything appently
> being changed.
> One of the answers I got was that there might be a group policy updating
> security descriptors which triggers TSM to back them all up again.

When you change ACLs, the files get backed up again, certainly.

Only a modest set of permissions on a file can be recorded faithfully in
the TSM database.  If you do additional permissions ( quite common in
winland ) then the ACLs are recorded in an addendum to the file, on the
storage pool.  This means that, if the extended permissions change, the
whole file must be re-backed-up.

So, it's not really a mystery why an heritable change at the root of a
FS would cause a resending of the whole FS.

- Allen S. Rout