ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Win2008 with UAC and backing up files that really didn't change... kind'a

2013-10-10 18:14:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Win2008 with UAC and backing up files that really didn't change... kind'a
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 18:12:18 -0400
Hi Dwight,

UAC -- User Access Control -- is a security mechanism introduced in Windows
Vista intended to help prevent malware from compromising your system. In a
nutshell, it does this by asking you if you want to let the program run
(and in some cases you may need to enter your credentials to allow the
program to run).

By itself, UAC doesn't change anything on your system. My guess is that if
UAC was involved, it was because you were attempting to do something that
required elevated privileges. UAC just asks, "do you want to do this?" (and
it might prompt you for your credentials), but UAC itself doesn't change
permissions on files. It was the "something" that you were trying to do
that caused the permissions to be changed.

It is conceivable that if you were trying to change file permissions, then
UAC will prompt you first, but it isn't UAC changing the permissions.

Best regards,

- Andy

Andrew Raibeck | Tivoli Storage Manager Level 3 Technical Lead |
storman AT us.ibm DOT com

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager links:
Product support:
http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Tivoli/Tivoli_Storage_Manager

Online documentation:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/Tivoli
+Documentation+Central/page/Tivoli+Storage+Manager
Product Wiki:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/Tivoli
+Storage+Manager/page/Home

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 2013-10-10
15:20:05:

> From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT COX DOT NET>
> To: ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu,
> Date: 2013-10-10 15:20
> Subject: Win2008 with UAC and backing up files that really didn't
> change... kind'a
> Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
>
> OK, so I have a file server with 6 volumes each of 2.5 TB's and each with
> 1-2.5M files on them.
>
> Under Win2008 there is this ~funk~ called UAC such that an
"administrative"
> id has effective permissions to everything but not really any direct
> permission.
>
> That is, if I go into this server and under explorer I click on the top
> directory on one of the volumes it says "you don't have rights to view
this,
> do you want to grant yourself rights?" and when I click "OK" windows goes
> out and gives my userid direct permissions to all subfolders and files.
BUT.
> that is a change to the permissions of every directory and file and next
> incr backup, TSM backs up everything. yes, sometimes 2.5M files at 2.5
TB's