ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull

2013-02-04 16:36:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 14:09:29 -0500
On 02/04/2013 01:43 PM, Zoltan Forray wrote:
> As this project moves forward, I am doing more and more research since I am
> unfamiliar with this beast (3494 has been my baby since it was installed in
> 1995).
>
> The book talks about "*to communicate with a server, the IBM System Storage
> TS3500 Tape Library uses a Fibre Channel interface (also called a port).*"
>
> Why?  What is this "fibre channel interface" used for?   The 3494 use IP to
> communicate/manage the library and the drives inside the library used fibre
> plus an RS422 connection to the library manager.

Ah, that. :) I know what you're talking about, I have a 3494 and a 3584
("TS3500").

The TS3500 is a subclass of "SCSI" libraries.  The command channel which
the 3494 performs over IP is done over the same connection that you use
to access drives.     That way you don't have to have IP... Oh, wait.
You want IP anyway, because that's how you manage it from the human
side. :)

- Allen S. Rout