ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull

2013-02-04 14:41:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 14:15:46 -0500
The 3584 can use a FC interface to control the library, saving the need for an
extra network path between your TSM server and the 3584 library.  You will
still likely want a network interface to the library so that you can access it
via the admin interface.  The FC interface just uses one of the tape drives in
the (logical) library.  You get to designate which tape drive you want to use
for this.  We just use the first drive in each of our logical libraries.

..Paul

At 01:43 PM 2/4/2013, Zoltan Forray wrote:
>As this project moves forward, I am doing more and more research since I am
>unfamiliar with this beast (3494 has been my baby since it was installed in
>1995).
>
>The book talks about "*to communicate with a server, the IBM System Storage
>TS3500 Tape Library uses a Fibre Channel interface (also called a port).*"
>
>Why?  What is this "fibre channel interface" used for?   The 3494 use IP to
>communicate/manage the library and the drives inside the library used fibre
>plus an RS422 connection to the library manager.
>
>On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Prather, Wanda <Wanda.Prather AT icfi DOT
>com>wrote:
>
>> Ah.  2-legged robots will work OK too.
>>
>> If there isn't a cartridge assignment map, when the operators (who are
>> paying attention!) put the cartridges in the I/O door, they use the library
>> panel (or the web interface) to tell it  which logical lib to assign that
>> batch of cartridges to, then you run a TSM checkin as usual.
>>
>> The exact sequence varies depending on whether you have "virtual" I/O
>> slots enabled with ALMS, but it's documented in the Operator's guide.
>> So you should get the same resulting function as with your 3494.

Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
CIT Infrastructure / Storage Services     Fx: 607-255-8521
719 Rhodes Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853-3801    Em: psz1 AT cornell DOT edu