ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull

2013-02-14 11:52:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 11:22:37 -0500
Well, it looks like this is going to happen and yes it will be a
pull-out-3494-push-install-3584/TS3500.

We are trying to make this transition as easy as possible so I have some
questions about prepping for this.

One issue is we have 2-library manager TSM servers.  This was done
primarily for redundancy in case there were major problems with a sole-LM
there was a backup we could switch to (our disk pools fill up all the time).

Our current plan is to manually/physically unload the tapes (1400+) from
the 3494, the day before the deinstall starts (8-hours for dis-assembly and
removal).  Since there are 2-LM, we would need to somehow keep them
separated since they would have to be reloaded into the 3584 in a similar
fashion.  Since I can't think of how we could logically separate them while
physically removing them, my thought/question is, would it be simply to
move to a single LM server, right now while still using the 3494.

Anybody else perform a tape library transition between like-models/drives?
 All war stories are welcome.