ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull

2013-02-04 14:45:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 20:06:39 +0100
On 4 feb. 2013, at 19:43, Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU> wrote:

> As this project moves forward, I am doing more and more research since I am
> unfamiliar with this beast (3494 has been my baby since it was installed in
> 1995).
>
> The book talks about "*to communicate with a server, the IBM System Storage
> TS3500 Tape Library uses a Fibre Channel interface (also called a port).*"
>
> Why?  What is this "fibre channel interface" used for?   The 3494 use IP to
> communicate/manage the library and the drives inside the library used fibre
> plus an RS422 connection to the library manager.

Because that is the way a 3584 works…. 'in band'. leftovers from when the 3584
was still midrange and midrange libraries are controlled in band. BTW, with
modern ts3500's features like control path failover are inclusive and losing
one tape drive does not mean that the library is uncontrollable.

--

Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards,

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl