ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull

2013-02-04 14:56:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 20:43:36 +0100
On 4 feb. 2013, at 20:32, Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU> wrote:

> Thanks for the "explanations" but I still don't understand.  Does the fibre
> channel connection replace the 3494 IP link?  I think read that you still
> need IP for CLI?

yes, there is an IP interface (or usually even multiple for GUI and 'CLI'
access as well as SNMP.

> Are the drives still separate when it comes to paths (other than being
> defined as part of a library)?  Is the fibre connection to the library the
> way the library communicates with the drives (like the old RS422 in the
> 3494)?  or how the TSM library manager server communicates with the
> library/TS3500?

there is some communications between the drives and the library, but as to
which protocol is used… I don't know (nor do I care)

> With the 3494, you used a driver called ibmatl which used /etc/ibmatl.conf
> (this is RedHat Linux) to define the IP/host connection to the library.
> How do you configure a TS3500?

place a control path on one or more drives, do your thing to detect scsi
devices (autoconf) and off you go… the atl is lung on the drives where you
defined the control path (as is customary for scsi libraries).