ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull

2013-02-04 14:44:53
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 14:16:03 -0500
-----Zoltan Forray wrote: -----

>As this project moves forward, I am doing more and more research
>since I am
>unfamiliar with this beast (3494 has been my baby since it was
>installed in
>1995).
>
>The book talks about "*to communicate with a server, the IBM System
>Storage
>TS3500 Tape Library uses a Fibre Channel interface (also called a
>port).*"
>
>Why?  What is this "fibre channel interface" used for?   The 3494 use
>IP to
>communicate/manage the library and the drives inside the library used
>fibre
>plus an RS422 connection to the library manager.

FCP has a two level addressing structure: each storage device port is
identified by a WWPN (World Wide Port Name), and each device
supported by a given port is identified by a LUN (Logical Unit
Number). On a disk array, a LUN identifies a block of disk storage
that host systems will treat as if it were a physical disk drive.
Each tape drive in a TS3500 has a LUN used for drive operations.
At least one drive will be configured as a control path. A drive
configured that way will have a second LUN. Commands and data sent
to the second LUN will be forwarded to the library manager firmware.

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital