ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up PST files

2008-02-14 14:34:06
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up PST files
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:33:34 -0500
Setting up NDMP is almost a trivial task when using TSM V5.4 and NetApp
filers.

There is no device driver set up on the filer - just enable NDMP.
Schedule snapshots if you want to backup a snapshot for a specific time.

Create two primary storage pools (one for data one for the table of
contents of the data) and a copy pool on the TSM server (disk, tape -
your choice), create a datamover and node and virtualfsmapping for that
node if you will be backing up snapshots, volume subdirectories or
Qtrees.  Create a schedule that runs the "backup node..." command.

If you need to recover a single file from a NAS share, the table of
contents will allow you to pick that file out and restore it. Use the
Windows WEB client - not the installed GUI to see the NDMP node data.

You can recover data another filer simply by creating a volume on that
filer and updating the datamover address to the destination filer - and
then running restore.

Yes it places TSM into a relatively simple data repository since you
cannot control versioning of specific files, and you have to be aware
that the backups will be full or differential but, for some
environments, this setup provides needed backup with minimal impact on
the TSM database and does not require filling the ethernet with CIFS/NFS
traffic to backup from a remote node.  It can also be used to backup
LUNs that have been snapshot, greatly reducing the impact of backups on
the hosting system.

The previous requirement of attaching tape to the filer and creating
special storage pools that could not be copied goes away with TSM V5.4
and NDMP over ethernet.

For some environments NDMP over ethernet is worthy of consideration.

Cheers,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.