ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up PST files

2008-02-13 19:14:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up PST files
From: Sam Sheppard <SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:12:55 PST
---------------------------- Top of message ----------------------------
>>--> 02-13-08  16:06  S.SHEPPARD     (SHS)    Re: Backing up PST files

We are in the same boat here but, even worse, the customer has 'chosen'
to store all of the .PST files on a shared NetApp FAS drive, something
not officially supported by Microsoft. Supposedly this was only going to
be a temporary solution until implementation of something called
Symantec Enterprise Vault. However, the $1M price tag on that is now
a problem and we have been asked the implications of continuing to do
these backups as we do now, given a 1TB/year growth rate.

Currently, we are backing up around 400GB/night out of 2TB of .PSTs and
were going to setup a test of subfile backup early next week.  I too
would be interested in any limitations to this scheme.  If there is a
.PST larger than 2GB, is it backed up normally?

Thanks
Sam Sheppard
San Diego Data Processing Corp.
(858)-581-9668