ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up PST files

2008-02-14 13:21:02
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up PST files
From: "Colwell, William F." <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:20:22 -0500
Hi Paul,

the subfile cache doesn't hold the whole file, it holds signatures of
some
sort, probably a checksum for each page.  I use subfile for pst files.
My pst is
75 meg but the folder is 5 meg.

We went thru a conversion to outlook 2 years ago.  First, you're lucky
to be involved
before the conversion is done.

The key is the attachments.  If the conversion from the old mail client
can leave
the attachments out of the pst then you will have much smaller pst
files.  Unfortunately
we loaded the attachments in.  As I said, I wasn't asked about the
conversion until
it was done.

Also, there are programs which extract attachments from the pst.  We use
EzDetach.  It helped a lot but the deployment of it wasn't completed so
we
have lots of psts > 2gig, some up to 10 gig.  Yes, they backup every
night.

I made a special management class for them with separate disk and tape
pool.
The tapes cycle faster because expiration deletes everything from them.

Good luck!

Bill Colwell
Draper lab