ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up PST files

2008-02-14 12:55:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up PST files
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:33:59 -0500
The earlier description on subfile backup is not correct.

The cache does NOT hold a copy of the original file for files > 3M.
It keeps a file that stores a MAP of the blocks of the original file.
The TSM Server stores the original file, and the subfile differences.
At restore time, the original file is restored and the subfile
differences.
The map is used to update the original base file to bring it to the
correct state.

As for what is stored in the cache...
For 1K < file size < 3M, the cache holds a copy of the file data
For 3M < file size, the cache holds the block signature map
As stated earlier, files > 2G are not eligible for subfile backup.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 02/14/2008
11:15:58 AM: