Networker

[Networker] best platform for newest networker?

2008-02-13 22:03:28
Subject: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:57:48 -0800
David Magda wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2008, at 10:47, Yaron Zabary wrote:
>
> One thing that has thrown a lot of people off the T1000 is that it
> has only one power supply. The new T5120 fixed that though.
>
> Never quite understood why Sun did that.

The T1000 was designed with clusters in mind; Sun originally pitched them to us
as 'horizontal blades.'  And if all you really wanted was sheer CPU power, then
having two of the T chips in 2U instead of one is somewhat worthwhile.

In that format (single PS, one 5.25" SATA that's a bit hard to replace) it's
not exactly what we'd want either.  You can combat most of those deficiencies
though (in particular there is a little-known kit to change the internal disks
to 2xSAS).

We have one T1000, as a QA box, but we settled on T2000 as the standard
afterward due to the extra drives and slots (and the two PS - most of our
systems are setup as semi-standalone).

--TSK
Tim Kimball