Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker and autocleaning

2006-10-12 13:37:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker and autocleaning
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:29:01 -0500
We have two AIT-4 drives that run for about 30 hours a week.  I've found
that they are very sensitive to not being cleaned enough so I run the
cleaning tape through every week (twice in a row using the controls on the
front of the juke box).  I might be able to get away with cleaning every 2
weeks but I'd rather not take a change that the weekend fulls fail because
the drives need cleaning.  With our old AIT-2 drives it was more like once
every month or two.

BTW, once when we were having some problems our library vendor sent me a
cleaning tape labeled "SDX-CL Long".  The tape reel was completely full.  I
expect that tape to last at least another year before it's used up.  I wish
we could buy the "long" cleaning tapes but I've never seen them for sale.

Dave

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc
Salem, Oregon