Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker and autocleaning

2006-10-12 09:51:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker and autocleaning
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:38:37 -0400
On Oct 12, 2006, at 6:50 AM — 10/12/06, Davina Treiber wrote:

Lars Hecking wrote:

If a tape library supports autocleaning, what are the recommended settings for it on the library and in networker? I guess it's more important to have
it set in networker, will enabling it on the autoloader interfere?

Some pretty strange things were happening on my Superloader yesterday. The tape drive got cleaned during a backup, and the cleaning tape remained in the drive. After unloading it manually and restarting the backup, the drive got cleaned again a few hours after the backup finished. Then, checking up on the next backup last night, I found that the cleaning tape had been moved to
the mail slot! (Superloader = new, cleaning tape = 3 uses).

You will see that not everyone agrees on this issue.

I believe that if your library supports cleaning, then you should let the library do it.

NetWorker controlled cleaning in its original form is flawed because it cleans based on a time interval. This goes against the recommendation of most tape drive manufacturers who suggest that you should clean a drive only when the drive requests it.

Current versions of NetWorker are able to read the clean request signal from the drive using CDI and clean accordingly, and in some ways that is the ideal scenario because it gives the user a view of cleaning tape usage from the software. Without this you are relying on checking cleaning tape usage from a library front panel or a web GUI if available, this all depends on your hardware. However, many users have experienced problems with CDI and decided to disable it.

Of course if the cleaning doesn't work well with your library then you don't have so many choices.

One thing I have noticed is that if your backup schedule calls for writing data to a tape for many hours on end (a high capacity tape) and the tape drive signals that it needs to be cleaned early in the writing process, problems can develop. This can give grief regardless of if you allow NetWorker to do auto-cleaning or the tape library. I have a few large NDMP clients that can spend 10 hours writing to a single tape cartridge via NDMP and if the tape drive receiving the data signals a need to be cleaned early (such as one hour into the backup process), that means it will receive data for another ten hours or so while the tape drive is complaining that it needs to be cleaned.

This is the situation on the Sony PetaSite with S-AIT tape drives that I manage. So, I have NetWorker 7.2.1 set up to auto clean those drives every 2 days, but once a week, I manually clean those drives via "nsrjb" and I keep 4 cleaning cartridges in the tape library (for 13 tape drives).

This arrangement works out very well.
"signoff networker" in the