Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker and autocleaning

2006-10-12 12:42:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker and autocleaning
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:22:24 +0200
On 2006-10-12 16:47, Davina Treiber revealed:

DT> > This is the situation on the Sony PetaSite with S-AIT tape drives  that I
DT> > manage. So, I have NetWorker 7.2.1 set up to auto clean those  drives
DT> > every 2 days, but once a week, I manually clean those drives  via "nsrjb"
DT> > and I keep 4 cleaning cartridges in the tape library (for  13 tape
DT> > drives).
DT> >
DT> > This arrangement works out very well.
DT>
DT> I am surprised that S-AIT drives need such frequent cleaning. LTO drives
DT> often go for months without requiring cleaning. You must get through a lot
DT> of cleaning tapes.

We have our SAIT-1 drives on almost 24 hour duty cycle, and they need
cleaning every few days. I'm guessing its normal behavior. When we
upgraded to SAIT-1 from AIT-2 we were disappointed with the actual
cleaning interval, as our AIT-2 almost never needed any cleaning. I have
also noticed that SAIT-1 has a much higher tape and drive failure rate
than AIT-2. If I knew this then, we would have probably gone for LTO
instead.

//Oscar