Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker and autocleaning

2006-10-12 07:01:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker and autocleaning
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:50:14 +0100
Lars Hecking wrote:

If a tape library supports autocleaning, what are the recommended settings
for it on the library and in networker? I guess it's more important to have
it set in networker, will enabling it on the autoloader interfere?

Some pretty strange things were happening on my Superloader yesterday. The
tape drive got cleaned during a backup, and the cleaning tape remained in
the drive. After unloading it manually and restarting the backup, the drive
got cleaned again a few hours after the backup finished. Then, checking up on
the next backup last night, I found that the cleaning tape had been moved to
the mail slot! (Superloader = new, cleaning tape = 3 uses).

You will see that not everyone agrees on this issue.

I believe that if your library supports cleaning, then you should let the library do it.

NetWorker controlled cleaning in its original form is flawed because it cleans based on a time interval. This goes against the recommendation of most tape drive manufacturers who suggest that you should clean a drive only when the drive requests it.

Current versions of NetWorker are able to read the clean request signal from the drive using CDI and clean accordingly, and in some ways that is the ideal scenario because it gives the user a view of cleaning tape usage from the software. Without this you are relying on checking cleaning tape usage from a library front panel or a web GUI if available, this all depends on your hardware. However, many users have experienced problems with CDI and decided to disable it.

Of course if the cleaning doesn't work well with your library then you don't have so many choices.

"signoff networker" in the