Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker and autocleaning

2006-10-12 13:38:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker and autocleaning
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:11:54 -0400
On Oct 12, 2006, at 11:47 AM — 10/12/06, Davina Treiber wrote:

I am surprised that S-AIT drives need such frequent cleaning. LTO drives often go for months without requiring cleaning. You must get through a lot of cleaning tapes.

Our tape drives spin an average of 20 hours a day. On a call a few months ago with a Sony tech support person, I was told that our PetaSite sees heavier utilization then anyone else's. We really get our money's worth out of the University's PetaSite investment! When we are not doing backups, we are testing backups. I set up NetWorker for auto-cleaning for every other day, but they usually go about every three or four days. Cleaning cartridges for S-AIT drives are good for 50 cleanings each and we use up one cleaning cartridge per week on average. I have learned that at the start of each fiscal year, its a good idea for me to add the cost of 52 cleaning cartridges into our annual budget, and so far, I am right on target with that estimate, but that might change after we add two new tape drives into our library, which I hope to do in another two or three months.

"signoff networker" in the