ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual Volumes & DB Backup

2007-11-15 09:27:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual Volumes & DB Backup
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:20:29 -0500
Rob,
   Backing up your DB to a virtual volume is a nice option that I use
for my entire environment as PART of my recovery strategy.

   On the target server, ensure that the ARCHIVE copygroup in the domain
that the source server node definition is assigned to, has a valid
destination -  it can be either disk or tape.

General procedure:
- On source server:
- - set servename source_server
- - set serverpassword password
- - set serverhladdress source_server
- - set serverlladdress 1500
- - set crossdefine on

- On target server:
- - Define TSM server domain,policy,mgmt class and ARCHIVE copygroup
destination.
- - define server source_server serverpassword=password
hladdress=source_server lladdress=1500 crossdefine=yes
- - register node source_server password domain=tsm_server type=server

- On source server:
- - Define devclass virtual_vol devtype=server servername=target_server
maxcapacity=100G
*note play around with the maxcapacity parameter to get something that
fits your environment.

Now backup your DB on the source server
- Backup db devc=virtual_vol type=full
And save your recovery plan
- prepare devc=virtual_vol

On the target server, you can view the recovery plan
- Query rpfile
- Query rpfcontent

Cheers,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.