ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Virtual Volumes & DB Backup

2007-11-14 17:26:48
Subject: [ADSM-L] Virtual Volumes & DB Backup
From: jonesrn <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:43:42 -0800
I have two TSM 5.4 servers using SATA drives as their targets. (They are named
TSM3 and TSM4) I do not have any tape drives or libraries set up.

I want to backup the database on TSM3 to TSM4 and vice versa. (As described in
an operation suggested in IBM TSM for Linux: Administrator's Guide, ver 5.3,
pages 602-607.)

However, I get this error:

ANR0984I Process 91 for DATABASE BACKUP started in the BACKGROUND at 03:47:08
PM.
ANR2280I Full database backup started as process 91.
ANR1404W Scratch volume mount request denied - mount failed.
ANR4578E Database backup/restore terminated - required volume was not mounted.
ANR0985I Process 91 for DATABASE BACKUP running in the BACKGROUND completed
with completion state FAILURE at 03:47:09 PM.

My strategy was to set up source and target servers for virtual volumes. When I
defined the storage pool on the target server I specified the devclass as DISK.
As in " define stgpool sourcepool disk". However, on the source server the
devclass "targetclass" seems to want a sequential device. I am guessing that
this is why it seems to be attempting to mount a scratch volume.

             Device Class Name: TARGETCLASS
        Device Access Strategy: Sequential
            Storage Pool Count: 0
                   Device Type: SERVER

I have not found a way to update the targetclass device from "sequential" to
"random" .

Is this the best way to achieve my goal?

Thanks,
Rob