ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual Volumes & DB Backup

2007-11-15 15:26:49
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual Volumes & DB Backup
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:29:45 -0500
Rob,
   On the source server, yes you will have sequential devclass
regardless (irregardless?) of the type of device on the target server.
The device is virtual and gets converted to what is real on the target
server through some TSM voodoo magic.

   Try a small test by:
1. define a small test disk pool of 2GB or so on the target server
2. Create a test domain with the archive copygroup destination of this
disk pool on the target server
3. Define the source server on the target server
4. Assign the source server to this domain with "register node ....
type=server"
--------
1. Create the virtual device class on the source server
2. run "prepare devclass=<virtual_device_class>" on the source server
3. on the target server do a "query files"
4. if you have space on the disk perform a db backup from the source
5. look at the volhist on the source server and you will see the virtual
volumes

One really nice feature of recovering the DB from a virtual volume is
that you need no tape devices defined in the OS so you can actually
recover TSM while the OS admin is installing the device drivers and the
SAN admin is zoning the new server to the tape drives( just don't reboot
until the DB recovery is complete).

Cheers,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.