ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual Volumes & DB Backup

2007-11-15 09:03:14
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual Volumes & DB Backup
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:02:58 +0100
jonesrn wrote:
> I have two TSM 5.4 servers using SATA drives as their targets. (They
> are named TSM3 and TSM4) I do not have any tape drives or libraries
> set up.
>
> I want to backup the database on TSM3 to TSM4 and vice versa. (As
> described in an operation suggested in IBM TSM for Linux:
> Administrator's Guide, ver 5.3, pages 602-607.)

do NOT (repeat do NOT!) create circular dependencies between servers,
keep backups of at least one database on disk, tape or whatever on
physical volumes.

on tsm3: reg n tsm4 yourpassword t=s ...
on tsm4: reg n tsm3 yourpassword t=s ...

make sure you have an archive copygroup in the default mgmt class in the
domain where you register your nodes (I think a dedicated domain is in
order).

on tsm3: update server tsm4 pa=yourpassword nodename=tsm3 ...
on tsm4: update server tsm3 pa=yourpassword nodename=tsm4 ...
(or def server)

now, update dev targetclass server=tsm3 or tsm4

backup db dev=targetclass t=f

look in both actlogs for tsm3 and tsm4 if things don't work.

> However, I get this error:
>
> ANR0984I Process 91 for DATABASE BACKUP started in the BACKGROUND at
> 03:47:08 PM. ANR2280I Full database backup started as process 91.
> ANR1404W Scratch volume mount request denied - mount failed. ANR4578E
> Database backup/restore terminated - required volume was not mounted.
>  ANR0985I Process 91 for DATABASE BACKUP running in the BACKGROUND
> completed with completion state FAILURE at 03:47:09 PM.
>
> My strategy was to set up source and target servers for virtual
> volumes. When I defined the storage pool on the target server I
> specified the devclass as DISK. As in " define stgpool sourcepool
> disk". However, on the source server the devclass "targetclass" seems
> to want a sequential device. I am guessing that this is why it seems
> to be attempting to mount a scratch volume.
>
> Device Class Name: TARGETCLASS Device Access Strategy: Sequential
> Storage Pool Count: 0 Device Type: SERVER
>
> I have not found a way to update the targetclass device from
> "sequential" to "random" .
>
> Is this the best way to achieve my goal?
>
> Thanks, Rob

>  |This was sent by jonesrn AT lafayette DOT edu via Backup Central. |Forward
> SPAM to abuse AT backupcentral DOT com.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP Key fingerprint = 6367 DFE9 5CBC 0737 7D16  B3F6 048A 02BF DC93 94EC

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams