ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual Volumes & DB Backup

2007-11-15 12:24:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual Volumes & DB Backup
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:22:22 -0500
>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:02:58 +0100, Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL> said:

> do NOT (repeat do NOT!) create circular dependencies between
> servers, keep backups of at least one database on disk, tape or
> whatever on physical volumes.

What he said!  A bunch!

If you designate one server as -only- the target for TSM server DB
backups, you'll find that that server's TSM DB is rather small.  This
permits all sort of different strategies in protecting the 'seed' of
the rest of your TSM infrastructure.

I've got one server, which I call 'ctrl', that does library manager
work and hosts DB backups, and a full of it is less than 300M.  So, I
do daily fulls, and incrementals every two hours, stick those files on
disk and rdist them all over the place.

You could burn a week's worth of DB backups, plus devconfigs and
volhists and option files for lots of servers, onto just one DVD at
that size.

- Allen S. Rout