Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup Appliance Vs Data Domain

2014-11-14 11:46:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Appliance Vs Data Domain
From: saiyed123 <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 07:10:33 -0800
Our company is considering NBU for backup solution using backup appliance, our
environment is mainly VMWARE ( 800+ guest) 30 + ESX and 30+Solaris boxes.
We also need Exchange backups to improve and keep the backup over the san when
possible.
We will need data replicated offsite also.
Current proposal is Netbackup with 3 5230 appliances
I like the integration of Netbackup with Appliance but need to know those who
are currently using it thier experience with it.
Upgrades/Vmware backup & Exchange/share point/sql etc, netbackup Air and
accilirator products.
Why do you think Netbackup is better vs EMC or Commvault.
I understand there are some limitation with the Appliance in their size and
capabilities as compared to DD, i.e NFS/VTL
Would it be better to go with two netbackup appliance and one data domain
appliance so we can leverage all capabilities, Symantec is saying NFS
capabilities are coming next year and suggest we backup external NFS mount (
waists of space and time).
So i need some opinion in this regard.
We are medium size company.