Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Appliance Vs Data Domain

2014-11-14 16:51:50
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Appliance Vs Data Domain
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT dsservices DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 21:51:41 +0000
We backup to Data Domain and to Quantums DXi over NFS from NetBackup 7.1.

Other than the fact they're now owned by EMC I have a generally favorable
opinion of Data Domain.    We've been using it for a few years now with few
major issues.

One thing to keep in mind is whether the unit you're buying is doing inline
deduplication, host deduplication or post-ingest deduplication and whether it
fits in your backup window.

We had our DXi running fine when it did post-ingest on our big ERP Database but
then they changed their "firmware" (read complete OS upgrade!) and it started
doing inline deduplication and we found it wouldn't fit in the backup window or
complete most days.   After we forced them to give us back the original
"firmware" a couple of years ago we've been happy with the performance but
sooner or later this will bite us as all their newer units use the newer
"firmware" so their support will struggle remembering what this did.

So far as I know there is no requirement to use Symantec's appliances with
NetBackup.   As noted above we use 2 other vendors for this.

Both Data Domain and DXi offer remote replication to an offsite facility but we
don't do that.

Were I investigating a new solution I might also look at ExaGrid.   Some of
what I've seen looks interesting but I've not used it.