Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Appliance Vs Data Domain

2014-11-17 08:04:48
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Appliance Vs Data Domain
From: scott.george AT parker DOT com
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 08:02:34 -0500
We have had a chance to side-by-side a 5220 with a DD860 for the past couple of years and each has its high and low points.

Most of that time we didn't have a backup replication solution in place and depended on duplicating back to tape off of each device for offsite storage.  The Data Domain is hands down much better at reconstructing its data for this purpose.  I do understand this isn't normally an intended operation, but pulling even less than 10 images off of the 5220 at one time was work that produced significant load on it as to impede its normal operation.

The hardware reliability of our 5220 atrocious.  I can't tell you how many raid cards have been switched out of this thing.  If we have had a couple of disk failures on the DD860 the past couple of years, but I always find out about those after the fact.  My datacenter people tell me that EMC was here to switch it out and that is that.

We did place another 5220 at our DR site with a DD4200 and implemented AIR.  This is the by far the best thing we ever did for our backup environment.  The remote 5220 does well as a remote master server handling the OST device and keeping track of images coming in.  Alleviating the need to send offsite tapes was a boon to the process overall.  We had a DR exercise last week and having everything there already without the need of propping up a tape library and a server to manage it was well worth the overall effort.

The 5220 performs well as a tape media server, again another function that it more than likely isn't intended to be used for.  Performing as a media server for the Data Domain does well also.

We depend on the local 5220 to handle the VMware backups over SAN and it doesn't keep up with what we need.  It is just not built to handle the load.

Right now, I am in the market for another device, and I am going to probably lean toward the Data Domain with another media server that uses 10gb interfaces.  We have really had to limit what we send to the 5220, and we are realizing that we may even have to pare that back.  We really liked it for the VMware capabilities, but performance is an issue and we may be finding ourselves using the Data Domain for some of that load as well.

If you have a large VMware install base, you will be well served to perform some load testing with proof of concept devices.  We were burnt by not doing enough of that ahead of time.  In this space, performance and functionality go hand-in-hand at times.