Networker

[Networker] Setup Networker for DR test

2010-04-19 08:07:49
Subject: [Networker] Setup Networker for DR test
From: grahambird80 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:03:33 -0400
Hello,

Thanks for the info;

> Well in a true DR you are not scanning in any tapes. You need to have the
> following:
>
> 1) Bootstrap report listing bootstraps and tapes.
> 2) Networker server version running at original site as well as server name
> exactly as it appeared in production.
> 3) Build DR server with same name. Install same networker version.
> 4) Same tape device as original. If LTOIII you can read on LTOIV.
> 5) Load the tape with bootstrap and run mmrecov. IT will prompt you for
> everything you need.
> 6) once done shutdown networker and save /nsr/res to /nsr/res.orig. Rename
> /nsr/res.R to /nsr/res.
> 7) restart networker. Run nsrck -L6 on backup server. You will need to delete
> the original library and rebuild for the one you are using. run nsrck -L7 to
> recover all client file indexes. Hopefully they are either all on the same
> tape or you have a tape library with all tape loaded.

With regards to

> 1) Bootstrap report listing bootstraps and tapes.

Can this be exported to a file rather than a Tape and then imported?

When you say

> 2) Networker server version running at original site as well as server name
> exactly as it appeared in production.

Does it have to be FQDN? or will the computer name suffice?

What if you dont have

> 4) Same tape device as original. If LTOIII you can read on LTOIV.

Do you mean the exact same hardware or will a different manufacture be OK?

When you say

>  6) once done shutdown networker and save /nsr/res to /nsr/res.orig. Rename
> /nsr/res.R to /nsr/res.

I take it these are the paths under c:\Program Files\Legato\Networker

Finaly

>  7) restart networker. Run nsrck -L6 on backup server. You will need to
> delete the original library and rebuild for the one you are using. run nsrck
> -L7 to recover all client file indexes. Hopefully they are either all on the
> same tape or you have a tape library with all tape loaded

Does the command you have given delete the Library? or will I need to do that?