Networker

Re: [Networker] Experience with Solaris 8 client / 7.5.2 server?

2010-04-19 09:24:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Experience with Solaris 8 client / 7.5.2 server?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:22:45 -0500
> tkimball
>
> Though Sun-style patches are slow (and sometimes require a service
> call to find out where they put the darn things), EBS major releases
> are available as 'free' ISO images - usually within a week of EMC's
> official release.
>
> Sun EBS 7.6 ISO (was available within a week of EMC's release):
>
> https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_SMI-Site/

en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=EBS-7.6-OTH-G-TP@CDS-CDS_SMI

I went to my usual download link for EBS (URL since deleted, and I don't
recall where it was), only to find a page saying the "Try before you buy"
program was no more. I guess that's Oracle for you...

> Sun EBS 7.5 SP1 ISO:
>
> https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_SMI-Site/

en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=EBS-7.5SP1-OTH-G-TP@CDS-CDS_SMI

Yeah - We're running 7.5.1 in a couple of environments here. Well, sorta
7.5.1 - Those environments include some replacement binaries I'm told are
from 7.5.1.6 (?) to fix cloning and savepnpc issues. I'd really like to
get past such a patchwork environment.

> I cannot find a patchid for 7.5.2, but I've had trouble getting our
> EBS support added correctly to the online portion of the contract.
> You should be able to call them and open a case to locate and/or
> supply the patch (this is what I eventually did for 7.4.4, as they
> were moving the site around).

I've had a case open with Sun for the better part of a month now, part of
which is trying to find 7.5.2. So far, I've not received an answer other
than it was supposed to pass Sun certification and be released "in
March"... ? Given that 7.5.2 apparently isn't yet certified, I had no
reason to expect 7.6 is available and Sun-supported... ??

> My next upgrade path will be in 7.6 tree (moved to 7.4.4 recently) so
> I'll be curious how things worked out.  I still have good experiences
> with Sun's support on this front, at least moreso then what I've read
> here about EMC.

Years ago before I was even employed here, we bought Networker directly
from Legato. From what I was told, the support was so bad that we just
re-bought it outright again from Sun, specifically to get Sun support. For
years, support was excellent and the support itself is still not bad, but
there's always a delay inherent in any OEM-ed product, from what I've
seen. While I have no complaints regarding the Sun engineer on my
currently-open case, 70% of the responses are "let me check with EMC and
I'll get back to you".

Thanks for the info - I'll pass it along to Sun Support so they know. At
one point, they recommended I go to PowerLink and download EMC's packages
from there (i.e., instead of what we've bought from Sun...)  :-\