Networker

Re: [Networker] Other back-up products besides NetWorker

2008-12-19 07:16:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Other back-up products besides NetWorker
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:15:02 +0100
On 2008-12-18 20:24, NetWorker revealed:

N> NetWorker does an outstanding job of fully utilizing the configured backup
N> resources to protect the configured clients, in an automated way. It
N> intelligently allocates backup streams to available devices on the fly
N> allowing you to configure how many parallel streams each device should
N> accept, which is a powerful paradigm and in my experience with the same
N> environment will run faster and use less production resources than any other
N> enterprise tape backup product. You're welcome to disagree but I've seen
N> some compelling bake-offs.

I wouldn't go as far as claiming this is bullshit, but its pretty close.
In our experience, commvault (the only other backup product I have real
experience of except for networker) is really much better at distributing
jobs, and moving them as resource availability changes.

N> The drawback has been that it has a steep learning curve on how to configure
N> it properly and the GUI was pretty ugly and lacked functionality. In the
N> past it also had major reliability issues but it is much more stable and
N> reliable now and the architecture/database structure is well-designed and
N> robust. Once it is configured correctly it does the job very well. And the
N> GUI issues in my opinion have been largely addressed.

Oh really? Do you define "in the past" as more than six months ago or
what? :P

//Oscar