Networker

Re: [Networker] Other back-up products besides NetWorker

2008-12-18 15:59:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Other back-up products besides NetWorker
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 07:57:48 +1100
I've watched following sort of comment appear periodically on this list and in the past I've tended to let it slide.

On 19/12/2008, at 06:27 , Bruce Breidall wrote:

It has never been an enterprise product.

Not this time. I think Tim Mooney and another person added somewhat to this discussion but I want to add one thing.

Backup dependencies.

I often see NetBackup bandied about as the "be all and end all" of enterprise backup products, but it doesn't do dependency tracking - it just throws away images as soon as they're expired regardless of any retention time that might be otherwise considered for an entire filesystem backups. Is that something you'd expect to see in an enterprise backup product?

I'm not wanting to start a "my product is better than yours" war; there are a heap of features in NetBackup that annoyingly aren't in NetWorker - inline cloning and savesets being able to migrate from one filled disk backup unit to another are two key examples.

Regardless though, what makes a backup product an enterprise product is as much as anything based on whether it scales and works within large enterprises. Its fair to say NetWorker has this in spades. It is deployed in very large organisations, it supports multiple tiers and centralised management over those tiers, does all the things you'd expect of enterprise products (multiplexing, spanning, rapid data access, etc) and is _fast_. Or rather, it's as fast as your environment can handle. (Don't believe me? 2.86GB/s, 10TB/h is a pretty good starting point - and that was done in 2003? 2004? by Legato, SGI and McData, from memory.)

So, let's not get into debates about whose backup product is enterprise and whose isn't. The question is too much like the proverbial "how long is a piece of string?" question.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog:

http://web.me.com/prestondeguise/nsrblog/Welcome.html