Networker

Re: [Networker] Other back-up products besides NetWorker

2008-12-18 15:32:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Other back-up products besides NetWorker
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:28:19 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Other back-up products besides NetWorker,...:

It has never been an enterprise product.

Now you're just being a troll.

I don't have any modern familiarity with NetBackup or any of the other
products that have been mentioned.  I don't doubt that many of them have
many advantages over NetWorker.  If we were brand new to enterprise
backups and were doing an on-site test of competing products, as we did 12
years ago when we selected NetWorker, it's quite possible that we would
choose some other product.

There was quite a long time, however, when NetWorker was the leader in
the enterprise open systems backups.  It certainly compared very favorably
to NetBackup and the other product (whose name eludes me, but no longer
exists IIRC) we tested when we selected all those years ago.

Despite your claim, we have somehow managed to back up our enterprise
using NetWorker for all these years.  There have certainly been
frustrations at times, as much with the companies (Legato and now EMC)
as with the product, but of course that's going to be true to some
extent with any product of this size and complexity.

I'm not sure what your beef is with NetWorker.  I assume you're very
satisfied with whatever product is is you're using to back up your
enterprise, to which I say, "Good for you!".  I don't think there's
anything productive that can come from the kind of comments you seem
intent on making on a mailing-list related to NetWorker, though.

Tim
edu