Networker

Re: [Networker] Performance of NW 7.2.x on Solaris 8 or 9 or 10?

2007-04-05 12:00:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Performance of NW 7.2.x on Solaris 8 or 9 or 10?
From: John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:55:30 -0400
Fazil> Alternatively, you can plan your Netapp enviroments to not have
Fazil> to large of an file system, by planing your volumes with
Fazil> multiple qtree's withen a volume and running seperate backup
Fazil> for each of them.

We already do this.  It helps, but when a single qtree can have over
3,000,000 files, it gets to be a problem.  Esp if a user asks us to
restore 1.1 million files out of the 3 million files.  I worry about
how I'll be notified that only 1 million can be restored...

Fazil> Also you can restore a given volume in multiple steps.  Some
Fazil> times any of the methods above are not possible due to your
Fazil> enviroment requirements, however there are options.

Sure, but I want to make my restores as painless as possible.  Right
now, if I give a directory to Networker and tell it to restore
everything underneath it, I don't have to think about it, whether it's
1 file, or 10 million.

That's the level of support I wish to see from NDMP restores.  I don't
care about the backups really, just the restores.

John
    John Stoffel - Senior Staff Systems Administrator - System LSI Group
  Toshiba America Electronic Components, Inc. - http://www.toshiba.com/taec
             john.stoffel AT taec.toshiba DOT com - 508-486-1087