Networker

Re: [Networker] EMC/Legato-NetWorker vs Veritas-NetBackup

2005-08-16 14:49:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] EMC/Legato-NetWorker vs Veritas-NetBackup
From: Mark <mdyer AT OAOT DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:47:05 -0400
Background:
Networker Administrator since DEC NSR v 2.1
TSM user when it was still AdStar.

Opinion:
For my money, the issue isn't the backup so much as it is the recover.
When the chips are down, I put my money on a smooth, successful recovery
from Networker!

My experience with Networker is that I'm able to nwrecover to determine
exactly which tape(s) will be needed to recover a server, disk, directory
or file.  Then use mminfo to tailor my restore request to stream the data
back to my server in an efficient manner.  (My 200 GB database restore took
about 3 hours to recover from DLT tapes.)

With TSM, large data recoveries took large amounts of time as the TSM
server had to cull through all of its records to locate all of the files
required to complete the recovery.  In the late 90's it appeared that the
more often the data had been "consolidated" the longer it took for TSM to
compile a complete file list.  (In our testing, the complete recovery of
one 9 GB disk took over 2 hours.)