Networker

Re: [Networker] EMC/Legato-NetWorker vs Veritas-NetBackup

2005-08-12 18:49:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] EMC/Legato-NetWorker vs Veritas-NetBackup
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:45:28 -0400
It seems that most people -- excluding all those on this board, of course -- I talk to look at me incredulously when I mention NetWorker like either they've never heard of it, or it's some hoary software from long ago. Even if I mention Legato, which technically is not the product despite the long held public misnomer, I still get weird looks. Veritas is all I ever hear about, everywhere I go. Perhaps that will change now that it's EMC/Legato. However, in all those corporate sales seminars and meetings it's heavily pushed, but Legato just seems to get blank looks. Whenever I call vendors about tape libraries or for problems they always ask or assume we're using Veritas. They get kinda quiet when I mention NetWorker, almost as if they're trained to deal exclusively with Veritas and have never had any training in NetWorker. Admittedly, I remember recently seeing a list of current backup software products. There must have been like 20 or more on the list. There were numerous ones I'd never heard of, but I suspect many of them are for smaller environments or perhaps PC Windows only? Who knows? Whatever happened to Tivoli?

I'd be curious to know a few things myself:

1. What can Veritas do that NetWorker can't?

2. Which product costs more?

3. I once heard that NetWorker was more configurable on a lower level. Can anyone speak to that?

4. Doesn't NetBackup operate on a different principle than NetWorker, like this concept of infinite incrementals or something?

5. For those of you who've used both products, which do you prefer and why?

I know you weren't asking this, but I like to think it's six of one half a dozen of another, and neither is really going to offer you much advantage over the other to make it worth switching horses mid stream, especially given all the time invested in your learning. If the product is delivering, why get the other and have to relearn it. I don't see any reason until the company either stops delivering, or you're going into an environment where the other software is already in place, but I'd like to hear what others chime in with.

Ballinger, John M wrote:

What's the latest thinking on NetWorker vs NetBackup
especially in a large Enterprise with SAN fabrics.
We currently use NetWorker with 7 or 8 NetWorker Servers/DataZones and have a
two fabric SAN using all Brocade equipment and v7+ and 5 Adic Scalar 1000
libraries.

thanks - John