Networker

Re: [Networker] EMC/Legato-NetWorker vs Veritas-NetBackup

2005-08-16 15:45:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] EMC/Legato-NetWorker vs Veritas-NetBackup
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:42:19 -0400
Just a little confused. When you say: "... Then use mminfo to tailor my restore request to stream the data back to my server in an efficient manner.", what do you mean? You run nwrecover to recover the data, and then you use mminfo, but I'm unclear how it would come into play at this point once the data has been recovered?

Also, with NetWorker, sometimes just using saveset recover is often faster than nwrecover as it doesn't have to read through the index/db to recover the data, but if you have to recover more than one instance then you could end up with unwanted files unlike with nwrecover. Therefore, could one conclude that TSM might be better in this regard since it would eliminate those unwanted files, but worse in the sense that it always has to assimilate a list of what to recover whereas save set recover does not?

However, with save set recover, you often can't just recover one incremental instance. Often, you have to go back to the previous full and then also grab one or more subsequent incrementals, so although it doesn't have to read the index, you do have to read through multiple instances, so maybe it's no more of a time saver versus TSM since TSM would assimilate first and then recover -- say six of one half a dozen of another as far as time?

Thanks.

George

Mark wrote:

Background:
Networker Administrator since DEC NSR v 2.1
TSM user when it was still AdStar.

Opinion:
For my money, the issue isn't the backup so much as it is the recover. When the chips are down, I put my money on a smooth, successful recovery from Networker!

My experience with Networker is that I'm able to nwrecover to determine exactly which tape(s) will be needed to recover a server, disk, directory or file. Then use mminfo to tailor my restore request to stream the data back to my server in an efficient manner. (My 200 GB database restore took about 3 hours to recover from DLT tapes.)

With TSM, large data recoveries took large amounts of time as the TSM server had to cull through all of its records to locate all of the files required to complete the recovery. In the late 90's it appeared that the more often the data had been "consolidated" the longer it took for TSM to compile a complete file list. (In our testing, the complete recovery of one 9 GB disk took over 2 hours.)