Networker

Re: [Networker] EMC/Legato-NetWorker vs Veritas-NetBackup

2005-08-14 23:52:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] EMC/Legato-NetWorker vs Veritas-NetBackup
From: Siobhan Ellis <Siobhan.Ellis AT ENSTOR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:42:09 +1000
Just to give you some context with my answers,  I used to be a Product Manager
in Legato, I now work for a company that resells Veritas, NetWorker and
Commvault. We also deliver consulting on DataProtector.

1. What can Veritas do that NetWorker can't?
You should be asking what can your NetWorker do for you that NetBackup can't
(Sorry JFK)
The answer is not a lot. NetBackup  does:
 - support VCS for the NetBackup server (NetWorker doesn't, but Veritas
supports the NetWorker server on VCS - go figure!)
 - support XCOPY (Also known as serverless backup) which is the SCSI command
you can find embedded in switches. What is amusing here is that Legato was
actually involved in the definition of Xcopy. Interesting, though, that I don't
know of a single customer using it, and doesn't seem to be a big seller for
anyone. Makes one wonder why?
 - Better media management (if you include Vault). AlphaStor (After 4 years of
trying) still only works in simple configurations.
 - Better marketing
 - Better GUI (If you ignore NetWorker Management Console)
 - in-line copies

What NetWorker can do better
 - DDS with NDMP file servers
 - NDMP backup to disk (7.2)
 - Better cross platform support (Netbackup focuses on Solaris, Windows, and
Linux - as you move to other platforms, you'll find functions start to drop
away)
 - Better Large config GUI (NMC is way better than the NB equivalent)
 - Faster backup for high density File Systems (and then better again using
SnapImage)
 - Support for OpenVMS (V sell their client by special order only), Oracle and
Rdb on OpenVMS, and a Storage Node on OpenVMS
 - Consolidated File Indexes
 - Ability to share media between Storage Nodes
 - More compact media and file databases
 - Can perform the bootstrap backup whilst other backups are going on
 - Better cloning and Staging (The company I work for has writtena  product to
extend NetBackup capabilities to make them similar to NetWorker)

That's off the top of my head

2. Which product costs more?
NetBackup - especially support! Ouch! V also have worse support (contentious
statement, but in my last 2 years in Legato customers were moving to NetWorker
becaus eof bad support from V. legato have raised their game considerably)

3. I once heard that NetWorker was more configurable on a lower level.
Can anyone speak to that?
It's a pain in the arse to configure! Interesting tid bit on NetWorker. Legato
once surveyed people who evaluated NetWorker & NetBackup. It was found for an
eval of less than 6 weeks, the majority bought NetBackup (Fancy GUI, not much
indepth working with the product). Those that evaluated longer than 6 weeks
would tend to select NetWorker - because they evaluated functionality, rather
than how long it takes to set up a jukebox!
BTW, NetWorker tends to have a more extensive command line than NetBackup.

4. Doesn't NetBackup operate on a different principle than NetWorker,
like this concept of infinite incrementals or something?
No, that's TSM - and it's BS.

5. For those of you who've used both products, which do you prefer and why?

>I know you weren't asking this, but I like to think it's six of one half
a dozen of another, and neither is really going to offer you much
advantage over the other to make it worth switching horses mid stream,
especially given all the time invested in your learning. If the product
is delivering, why get the other and have to relearn it. I don't see any
reason until the company either stops delivering, or you're going into
an environment where the other software is already in place, but I'd
like to hear what others chime in with.

I agree with this. In the end, it will come down to potential piece of
functionality that you want. Interestingly enough, Veritas often steals
customers away from legato by just giving them the software - or as near damnit!

Siobhan

Siobhan Ellis
Senior Technology Consultant
Enstor
Level 10, 118 Alfred St
Milsons Point
NSW 2061
Australia

Mobile: +61 424 750 544
Phone: +61 2 9900 2100
Fax: +61 2 9900 2199
e-mail: siobhan.ellis AT enstor.com DOT au