Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to prevent large files from being backed up?

2013-08-20 15:05:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to prevent large files from being backed up?
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:02:04 -0500
On 08/19/2013 12:41 PM, Jonathan Bayer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a few users who, for various reasons, constantly create & delete
> huge files (hundreds of gigs).  I'd like to exclude these from the
> backup process.
>
> How can I do that, since I don't know where they can appear or what
> their names are?

You can't.

I've a similarly "unknown" set of files to back up and the best I could
come up with is run find on the client looking for files not modified in
the last 24 hours. And even then bacula isn't saving the metadata
(ownership, permissions, timestamps) on parent directories (apparently
it's a feature).

So if you know these files don't stick around for more than X hours, you
can run a script on the client that gives you a list of files older than
X hours & you back up those. Obviously, that gives you a X-hour window
when "real" files aren't backed up plus a change for false negatives &
false positives. Plus bacula's dynamic fileset "feature".

We also have a rule: anything with "_unb_" in its name isn't backed up
-- but I can educate my users...

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin