Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to prevent large files from being backed up?

2013-08-20 18:20:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to prevent large files from being backed up?
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 17:17:04 -0500
On 08/20/2013 04:49 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Dmitri, if you look at the approach I proposed, it would back up the
> entire tree and only exclude specific files, which entirely sidesteps
> the parent-directory-metadata problem you mentioned.  Excluding only
> the files you don't want is a simpler solution altogether.  Are you
> arguing that it won't work?  Your point is unclear.

My points are

1. Excluding files based on size alone sounds icky. You need to consider
your false positives & negatives carefully.

2. OP didn't say what his fileset normally looks like. Without that
- if he's backing up everything and excluding specific files, then
another exclude should probably work.
- If he's excluding everything and backing up specific files, then
dynamic fileset comes with the parent metadata problem.

3. Most importantly, the only way to do it right is if OP can get his
users to cooperate. Then (e.g.) 'exclude { wild = "*__nobak__*" }' is
all there's to it.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin