Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to prevent large files from being backed up?

2013-08-20 16:46:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to prevent large files from being backed up?
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 15:43:08 -0500
On 08/20/2013 03:03 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 08/20/13 15:02, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
>> On 08/19/2013 12:41 PM, Jonathan Bayer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We have a few users who, for various reasons, constantly create &
>>> delete huge files (hundreds of gigs).  I'd like to exclude these
>>> from the backup process.
>>>
>>> How can I do that, since I don't know where they can appear or
>>> what their names are?
>
>> You can't.
>
> Actually, ues, you can.

Did you read the rest of my e-mail?

> Instead of using a static Fileset, you can
> configure Bacula to source a script that generates it on the fly.

That is exactly what I said. Also that it's error-prone and that bacula
won't store attributes on the parent directories unless you explicitly
include them. (But then you have to have exclude everything in them and
include individual files, which makes the whole mess even uglier and
more error-prone.)

See also replies to my "Missing directory metadata" and "weird directory
timestamps" in this month's archive.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin